Prof. Dr. Kazuaki Shinomiya
Dr. Yuya Horinouchi
- The incidence of delirium will increase with the aging of the population. Delirium is characterized as an acute disturbance of attention and cognition, occurring in 10% to 50% of elderly postoperative patients. Postoperative delirium is a common and serious complication that results in higher morbidity and mortality rates, prolongs the hospital length of stay, and increases the hospitalization cost. Risk factor of delirium is generally divided into three categories; that with direct factor, precipitating factor and predisposing factor. Predisposing factors may be used for the delirious risk evaluation prior to surgery. On the other hand, precipitating factors can be considered for improving the clinical and pharmaceutical care, and avoiding delirium. The risk of delirium increases with the number of risk factors. In order to prevent the postoperative delirium, therefore, it is important to demonstrate the effects of the multicomponent intervention for reducing the risk of delirium. In our laboratory, we study the effectiveness of multidisciplinary team intervention and pharmaceutical care for the prevention of delirium after surgery.
- Currently, the number of patients with chronic kidney disease in Japan who are at risk of dialysis is 1 in 8 adults (13.3 million people). If the disease progresses, renal anemia (shortness of breath, dizziness, and tiredness), which interferes with daily life, is likely to occur. This not only leads to end-stage renal disease requiring dialysis, but also increases the risk of cardiovascular disease and malignant tumors. In addition, chronic kidney disease, especially end-stage renal disease, is often accompanied by sarcopenia and frailty, which has been a hot topic in recent years. Sarcopenia and frailty increase the risk of falls and fractures, and there is a high possibility of falling into a bedridden state, requiring nursing care. Thus, it is very important not to induce or allow the progress of chronic kidney disease. In our research, we are going to identify new preventive and therapeutic agents for chronic kidney disease and elucidate the mechanisms of action.
The Main Themes of Our Research
- Multidisciplinary team intervention and pharmaceutical care for the prevention of delirium
- Risk factors of delirium after surgery
- Search for novel preventive/therapeutic agents for chronic kidney disease and their mechanisms of action
- Hagiya H., Koyama T., Deguchi M., Minato Y., Miura S., Funahashi T., Teratani Y., Zamami Y., Shinomiya K., Kitamura Y., Sendo T., Hinotsu S., Kano M., Trends in hepatitis C virus-associated mortality rates in Japan, 1998-2017. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol., 36 (2021) 2486-2492.
- Funahashi T., Koyama T., Hagiya H., Harada K., Iinuma S., Ushio S., Zamami Y., Niimura T., Shinomiya K., Ishizawa K., Sendo T., Hinotsu S., Kano MR., Population-based observational study of adverse drug event-related mortality in the super-aged society of Japan. Drug Saf., 44 (2021) 531-539.
- Hamano H., Mitsuhashi C., Suzuki Y., Zamami Y., Tsujinaka K., Okada N., Niimura T., Hayama T., Imai T., Ishida S., Sakamoto K., Goda M., Takechi K., Yagi K., Chuma M., Horinouchi Y., Shinomiya K., Ikeda Y., Kirino Y., Nakamura T., Yanagawa H., Hamada Y., Ishizawa K., Effects of palonosetron on nausea and vomiting induced by multiple-day chemotherapy: a retrospective study. Biol. Pharm. Bull., 44 (2021) 478-484.
- Koyama T., Hagiya H., Funahashi T., Zamami Y., Yamagishi M., Onoue H., Teratani Y., Mikami N., Shinomiya K., Kitamura Y., Sendo T., Hinotsu S., Kano MR., Trends in place of death in a super-aged society: a population-based study, 1998-2017. J. Palliat. Med., 23 (2020) 950-956.
- Koyama T., Hagiya H., Teratani Y., Tatebe Y., Ohshima A., Adachi M., Funahashi T., Zamami Y., Tanaka HY., Tasaka K., Shinomiya K., Kitamura Y., Sendo T., Hinotsu S., Kano MR., Antibiotic prescriptions for Japanese outpatients with acute respiratory tract infections (2013-2015): A retrospective observational study. Infect. Chemother., 26 (2020) 660-666.
- Hamano H., Ikeda Y., Goda M., Fukushima K., Kishi S., Chuma M., Yamashita M., Niimura T., Takechi K., Imanishi M., Zamami Y., Horinouchi Y., Izawa-Ishizawa Y., Miyamoto L., Ishizawa K., Fujino H., Tamaki T., Aihara KI., Tsuchiya K., Diphenhydramine may be a preventive medicine against cisplatin-induced kidney toxicity. Kidney Int., 99 (2021) 885-899.
- Ikeda Y., Watanabe H., Shiuchi T., Hamano H., Horinouchi Y., Imanishi M., Goda M., Zamami Y., Takechi K., Izawa-Ishizawa Y., Miyamoto L., Ishizawa K., Aihara KI., Tsuchiya K., Tamaki T., Deletion of H-ferritin in macrophages alleviates obesity and diabetes induced by high-fat diet in mice. Diabetologia., 63 (2020) 1588-1602.
- Ikeda Y., Satoh A., Horinouchi Y., Hamano H., Watanabe H., Imao M., Imanishi M., Zamami Y., Takechi K., Izawa-Ishizawa Y., Miyamoto L., Hirayama T., Nagasawa H., Ishizawa K., Aihara KI., Tsuchiya K., Tamaki T., Iron accumulation causes impaired myogenesis correlated with MAPK signaling pathway inhibition by oxidative stress. FASEB J., 33 (2019) 9551-9564.
- Horinouchi Y., Ikeda Y., Fukushima K., Imanishi M., Hamano H., Izawa-Ishizawa Y., Zamami Y., Takechi K., Miyamoto L., Fujino H., Ishizawa K., Tsuchiya K., Tamaki T., Renoprotective effects of a factor Xa inhibitor: fusion of basic research and a database analysis. Sci Rep., 8 (2018) 10858.
- Horinouchi Y., Summers FA., Ehrenshaft M., Mason RP., Free radical generation from an aniline derivative in HepG2 cells: a possible captodative effect. Free Radic Biol Med., 78 (2015) 111-117.